Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Reality Bites: my take on Reality Television

Ok, let me first say, I am not intentionally attacking anyone. But I really need to get this off my chest. I am so SICK of "reality" TV. It's becoming disgusting. These networks, especially VH1 and Oxygen will do anything to get a story that is "good for TV". Each week thousands of women tune into these ignorant ass shows; Basketball Wives, Love & Hip-Hop, Bad Girls Club, and Real Housewives to name a handful, that glorify petty female beefs, their easily attained lavish lifestyles, and encourage drama on each episode. Some women and young girls are using these shows as tutorials to become, what they perceive, as the ideal woman. These shows are usually scripted for drama. So they are far from real.
When do they show the women, at peace and loving each other and their families? On the very few occasions when they do show this, we as viewers, don't want to see it! We're itching for a fight, to hear the word "bitch", or see someone throw a drink at another woman who is the same as her. Help me understand??? Is this what we are saying we are about, collectively, ladies? Shirley Chisholm and Sojourner Truth would be appalled, I will go further and say, disappointed that they struggled for us (black women) for this.

Now I am going to play both sides just a bit here, it is not a reality tv star's responsibility to raise our girls or mold black female culture.
But...
Regardless of that fact, the REALITY is, it is giving the wrong impression. These little girls are striving to get Christian Louboutins, Louis Vutton, and Gucci, but are the least bit interested in earning a degree so they can earn a living, to buy a pair of Louboutins. Where's the sense in that? I love nice things too. In no way am saying there is anything wrong with buying nice things with expensive tags, but it's important to know why YOU ARE making the purchase. Understand the purchase is not making you!

When it comes to these shows. We watch to see the drama (period). Maybe in some twisted way, watching their nonsense makes us feel less fucked up. Let's stop focusing so much on the reality show garbage and deal with our own nasty stuff. You can't wait to tune in because on the next episode this chick confronts the next broad about sleeping with her man but you are allowing your child's father to ignore his responsibility of taking care of his child/children. You're talking about Emily being stupid, wanting to be with a man who's unfaithful yet you know your man has dual lives and is unfaithful? Come on ladies!

I used to watch reality TV, especially back in the 90s when Real World an Road Rules, on MTV, was popular. Although the people on these shows did have spats, beefs, and fights, it wasn't produced and edited the way it is now. Now it seems like production revolves solely around women's unhappiness and spats. I sometimes catch an episode or two when I am at someone else's houses or I over hear summaries of an episode from coworkers, and it's always the same. I also used to watch them myself. I would like to watch these women, see them having a good time together, less bickering, sharing some worthy knowledge, or having more REAL conversations about what makes them (the women on these shows) want to lash out the way they do. Instead of excuses and talking around the issue, some dialogue about the real internal issues would be appreciated. My opinion is, 'if you are going to let us in, let us in for real.' Maybe, just maybe, by changing that aspect of the show a young woman would evaluate herself, her actions, her thoughts, and see a need for change. That's what it should be doing, not promoting the idea that female bickering, fighting, and stupid beefs between so called "friends" is normal or acceptable! Because honestly, these women all seem to have serious psychological issues. The only reason they aren't stigmatized is because they are on television. These imbalanced women are role models to many. You will never hear me say Ive got everything together and you will never catch me on national television acting stark raving mad! Nope! Not I said the cat. (I would be the cat in this situation lol)

Now, obviously everyone will not always get along and I'm not trying to live in a perfect world. I'm simply saying let's stop glorifying these ignorant and negative portrayals of women.

If you don't think about anything i am saying, that is fine. Then all that I ask, when you watch the show, is to realize it is everything EXCEPT reality.

2 comments:

  1. Well said my dear. Read about Marx's theory of the commodity fetish; puts the desire for material things into perspective. I stand firm in my belief that we are responsible for own thoughts & parents/guardians are to reinforce reality. Am I overdosed on current reality tv? Hell yes! Do I watch it all? Hell no. I'm in charge of my life so I change the channel. I watch the Real Housewives shows. I'm an odd ball so I've actually looked up the women on the ones I watch. Some have worked for every penny they have, some married rich, some screwed the rich, & some just got lucky. I would like to see less bickering & crafty editing. Reality tv is meant to entertain. Don't like it don't watch it. Don't attend casting call; thats the true issue. If people stopped auditioning the shows would change. If celebs would stop accepting the offers things would be different. But money talks & foolishness makes good tv because ppl can't wait to see what's gonna happen next. And as always ppl will do something strange for change. Good post Bambi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much. I agree with much of what you said. have heard of Marx's theory but have never actually researched myself, so I will do!I also watch the real Housewives shows and I enjoy them. Crafy editing is exactly what I am dying for! You made a good point abt it being meant to entertain.
    Thank you again,
    Bambi

    ReplyDelete

Comments and opinions are welcomed!!! Thank you for reading.