Thursday, June 19, 2014

Pizza Pizza!!!





Pizza is one of my favorite foods, and unfortunately it's can be one of the most detrimental foods as well, with its immense carbs and sugars. But no fear because the pizza gods have answered our prayers with Cauliflower Crust Pizza.






What you need (Ingredients):

  •      2 cups of Cauliflower (I used fresh, but I don’t see why frozen wouldn’t work)
  •      1-2 eggs (depending on size and preference)
  •      2 ½  cups of Reduced Fat Mozzarella (or Cheese of Preference)
  •        ¼ c parsley (chopped)
  •      Pasta/Pizza Sauce (I bought organic bottled sauce but you can definitely make your own)
  •     4 cloves of garlic
  •     Salt and ground black pepper to taste (moderately)
  •     Olive Oil (Oil of preference


What to do (Directions):

  1. Run your cauliflower through a food processor or blender until cauliflower is shredded (no huge chucks)
  2. Bring a pot of water to boil, place a steamer (some strainers work just as good) into a pot and fill with water just below the steamer, add cauliflower in the steamer for about 10-15 minutes, cover, and steam until tender. Once tender, transfer to bowl and let cool. You can refrigerate, to speed up cooling.
  3. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line a pizza pan or backing sheet with parchment paper and grease parchment paper with olive oil
  4. Stir 1 ½ cups of cheese, eggs, parsley, garlic, salt and pepper into cauliflower.
  5. Pour mixture onto parchment lined baking sheet/pizza pan
  6. Press and shape for pizza crust
  7. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes
  8. Once crust is done, let cool for about 5 minutes.
  9. Layer pizza sauce (amount is based on preference. I used about 2/3 c but you can definitely use more).
  10. Layer 1 cup of cheese on top of pasta sauce, followed by all desired  toppings
  11. Bake for 10 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.
  12. ENJOY!
Italian & Cheddar reduced fat blend cheese, topped with mushrooms, black olives, red onions, spinach, grape tomatoes, and pepperoni


Now that you have the basics, you can change and adapt the recipe to your desired taste. Making this is super easy and fun. In my healthy lifestyle journey, I have stopped counting calories. I still am aware of them them but I am not a strict calorie counter. So, I apologize to those who would like to know the calories of the pizza. I believe it's less than 300 calories in ½ pie, if you make it like I do. I strive to eat clean and nutritious, and enjoy treats in moderation. But if you need to see your calories, I know there are recipe/calorie counters that might be helpful. Have a great day, and if you try the recipe, let me know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and opinions are welcomed!!! Thank you for reading.