Saturday, March 19, 2011

My Natural Hair Journey

I started going natural three years ago. At first it was more of a hair health decision. I had been getting relaxers for since I was fifteen, my hair had always been very long BUT it was always shedding. I did not want to accept that my hair could not handle the relaxer but once I did I decided I would go natural. I grew my hair out for about five months. Finally, I could no longer tolerate the two textures so I went to a salon to get the relaxer cut. I did not want to cut all my hair off so the stylist gave me a cute bob and automatically straightened it. I did not even have a chance to embrace my curls. When I tried to wear it curly I realized all of the chemical relaxer was not cut out SO not even a month later I went to go for a BIG CHOP. I went to a salon in the mall where I worked and the stylist cut my hair wet and curly. It was very short AND when I got home I realized it was VERY uneven. I was mortified. Side note: I forgot to mention my regular stylist had moved out of state, so this is why I became a guinea pig lol. I finally found a great stylist and cut my hair cut (straightened of course) but it was even. It started to grow nicely. Three years later, in between regular trims, hair cuts, color changes (pink, blonde, jet blacks, and countless reds) my hair was and the bottom of my bra strap. I loved my long locks. I like to go back in forth from straight to curly, which I know is very controversial in the natural community but what can I say, I get bored easily. I started straightening my hair at home (that was a mistake). It looked great but all the while I was causing major heat damage due to having my flat iron temp. WAY to high. When I was ready to wear my curls it looked a hot mess. So, a few weeks ago I finally went to Devachan and cut off 6 inches of partially damaged hair. I look forward to growing soft, healthy, long curls.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and opinions are welcomed!!! Thank you for reading.